Church community Martini
200 years Martini church in Sankt Andreasberg on 10.11.2011
The Martini Church in Sankt Andreasberg was consecrated on 10.11.1811 - the birthday of the reformer Martin Luther (10.11.1483-18.02.1546). It thus replaced the Trinity Church, which had stood on the same site and burned down completely in 1796.
The first church in Sankt Andreasberg was completed in 1537, 16 years after the first mountain freedom. The church congregation in Sankt Andreasberg consisted mostly of miners who had come to the Harz Mountains from the Ore Mountains. They brought the teachings of Martin Luther with them to the Harz Mountains, and so the church congregation was Lutheran from the beginning.
Soon this church became too small in the rapidly growing town, so that the church was torn down in 1568 and a new, larger one was built in its place.
In 1796, a great fire shook the mountain town. More than half of all the houses were destroyed, including the parsonages, the school and the church. Fortunately, most of the houses in Sankt Andreasberg were already fire-insured, so the parsonages and the school were quickly rebuilt. In 1798 the present long building with the parsonages and the school (today's parish hall) was completed. The church building was not insured for reasons of thrift, and this took its revenge. Since the financial resources for the construction of a new church were not available, one had to be content with a temporary solution. From 1796 to 1811, church services were held in the Ludwiger Zechenhaus. This house (Halde 18) is still called the "Old Church" today. It was thanks to a Catholic official of Napoleon that the funds for the new building were somehow raised. We no longer know how Maire Bierwirth managed this, since the final invoice for the church building has disappeared.
Berthold Mühlenpfordt was commissioned to prepare a design. He designed a light and simple building in the classicist style. The only decoration are three ceiling paintings. The altar area depicts the Last Supper of Jesus with his disciples. In the center, as the gathering place of the baptized, Jesus' baptism by John the Baptist at the Jordan River. And above the organ the singing David with his harp.
The winter church behind the altar was established in its present form at the beginning of the eighties. In addition to its function as a place for the celebration of worship, the Martini Church is one of the venues for the art exhibition "Man-Nature" and a concert church with wonderful acoustics.
The parish of Sankt Andreasberg will begin the first construction phase of the renovation in the spring, which means starting with the roof. The second construction phase will then be the exterior facade. The interior renovation is the responsibility of the parish itself. We are happy about your donation!